Rotoscoping

So Rotoscoping was definitely an experience. The piece that I chose was definitely a challege given how fast they were moving and how technical their movements were; animating on ones seemed to be the best option. I really love this scene from the 2011 Footloose, mostly because the line dance is awesome and the song is super catchy. So I thought, why not! And so I animated both Ren and Ariel dancing.
I ended up creating both of them on separate layers, because even though they are doing the same routine, they both have their own style and levels of skill and flexibilty. In addition, like in most group dances, men and women tend to have different moves.
Also, I ended up tracing the character's outline almost completely and then adding the horizontal lines for the ends of the clothing and shoes after, instead of breaking the body parts up. It seemed like the most efficient set up for this kind of situation.
I may eventually extend the video to about 12 seconds, since a few good parts of the dance were cut off. But for now enjoy this 7 second version, the video has a comparision shot with the original.







Comments